You want to sell your Santa Clarita house, and you want to get top dollar.
But “What do I need to do to sell my house in Santa Clarita“?
Selling your house for top dollar can be very difficult if you don’t take the property steps. Here are some tips on how to prepare your home to sell at the top dollar the market will bear:
*NOTE: These tips are for getting full retail value for your house sale. If you don’t want to do the things listed below in order to get full market value or if you don’t have the time or money to prepare your home to be sold at top dollar, you can still sell your Santa Clarita home fast for a fair value in a win-win sale that will save you time and keep more money in your pocket.
1) Clean, clean and clean. Even vacant houses get dusty and dirty, so keep it up! Nothing short of gleaming perfection will impress buyers. If you’re not a total clean freak, hire someone who is to help you out until you sell.
1. Clean, clean and clean more. When you are trying to get top dollar for your home, you need the potential buyer to fall in love with your home. So, if you aren’t a clean freak, you should hire a professional cleaning company to help keep the property clean until it sells.
If you’re a messy person, you may want to consider staying somewhere else so that your home can be shown. Maybe you can switch houses with one of your neat freak friends. Seriously though, having a clean house is a big deal when trying to sell for top dollar. Even vacant homes get dusty. While a little dust may not be as bad, it takes away from the first impression when viewing the property.
2) Cultivate a cohesive, neutral style. While you may love the orange or pink paint throughout your home, these colors may not resonate with the general audience that is viewing your home.
This isn’t to say you have to paint the whole house an off-white or anything like that. In fact, some subtle colors can really help change the perception of spaces – for example, a soft yellow will help brighten up a dark kitchen, while a deep dark blue or green will help a bright bedroom to feel like a calm place to sleep. You should be careful with too many dark colors though; dark colors tend to make rooms feel small.
You should spend some money on high quality paint and painters. Although no one may notice consciously people tend to pay more for properties with just the right colors and neat lines. It just gives a better overall feel for the house. It makes it feel like a well built home, even though it’s just paint.
Optical illusions are real, and psychologists study this stuff. Don’t believe me?
Look it up. And don’t neglect the outside and just do the inside, or anything else that’s unbalanced.
3) Fix or replace anything that’s broken. Some might say it’s a waste of money but when a buyer comes in paying a premium, they don’t want to have to put more money in the home when they get it. They want to feel at home the second they walk in. Yes, some buyers may want to choose their perfect appliances when they move in but having broken appliances in your home leaves a spot for negotiation. When negotiating on a say $500,000 house you aren’t going to ask for a $1,000 discount (the price of the actual appliance), they’re going to ask for $5,000 maybe even $10,000 or more off. In which case, you would have been better off fixing the appliance in the first place. On top of the monetary, benefit, it may also be illegal to hide something that is broken.
Make sure you stay in compliance with all the laws.
It may even be worth hiring a home inspector to inspect the property prior to listing it. That way you know what is wrong with the house in advance. Also, if you ask in advance, they’ll often charge you a tiny rate to come back after you’ve done a bunch of minor repairs and deliver you a clean bill of health. Having an inspection report and being able to show what you fixed will give the buyers peace of mind that they’re buying from someone who cares.
4) Make only necessary improvements. While it is necessary to make some improvements and repairs to get top dollar, you don’t want to over do it by buying things that won’t actually improve the value.
Paint is about the only safe investment – it’s easy to overspend on almost everything else, and it’s easy to get ripped off by unscrupulous contractors.
It’s important to pay attention to and do research into what items give the best return on investment when preparing for a sale.
5) Get expert opinions. Real Estate Brokers are a great asset when it comes to valuing your property. However, if you don’t plan on utilizing the brokers services, tell them up front and offer to pay them for their time. Brokers make money from sales, you don’t want to make enemies of a broker if you plan on doing a for sale by owner. They might’ve had a perfect buyer for your property.
6) Have a really great marketing plan. Since brokers handle listings for a number of clients, they are able to spread the costs of marketing across all their clients. However, selling a property yourself, you don’t have anyone else to help with the marketing costs. So, marketing costs can add up pretty quickly and if you aren’t a marketing expert already, it can be pretty time consuming.
If you’re not, spend the time listening to what the best brokers do to sell houses in Santa Clarita – just to educate yourself on the options.
7) Get a cash offer. We buy houses all over the Santa Clarita area, and we do all the work so you don’t have to deal with any of this stuff.
Don’t Want To Do The Things Above Yourself? But Still Want To Sell Your Santa Clarita CA House Fast?
While everyone wants to get as much as they possibly can from their house sale… not everyone can do the things or wants to do the things required to sell it at full retail value to an end buyer.
As you’ve seen there’s a lot you have to do to sell at full market value. Doing the repairs, cleaning, upgrading and marketing a property takes a lot of money and time.
If you have the funds to do these things... AND don’t mind letting your house sit on the market for 3-9 months, then you will probably end up making more money by listing on the MLS (the main property listing service that real estate agents use).
If you don’t have the funds to do these things... AND can’t wait months to sell your house… then you may be a perfect fit for our local Santa Clarita house buying service. You’ll submit basic info about your house over here on our website, we’ll evaluate your house, we’ll make you a fair all-cash offer on your house, and you can decide if it’s a fit for you.
Then we can close FAST (often times within 7 days) if you need us to.
Take a look at what we’ll pay you not to do anything versus the time, expense and hassle involved with doing it on your own.
After accounting for the money added in, value of time, and your mortgage and other holding costs, you may not be as far ahead as you may think.
So if you’re still asking “what do I need to do to sell my house in Santa Clarita“… now you have 2 solid options.
- Fix up the property and get it nice and ready to sell for top dollar by following the tips listed above
- Let us spend our time and money fixing up the property and we’ll give you a fair cash offer on your house in AS-IS condition. This saves you time, money, and gets the hassle off of your hands.
If you need to sell a property near Santa Clarita, we can help you.
We buy properties like yours from people who need to sell fast.